Incorporation and Self-Employment Tax

Incorporation and Self Employment Tax

A significant difference between the S corp structure and the sole proprietorship and partnership structures occurs with respect to the Self-Employment Tax (SE Tax). Owners of sole proprietorships, partnerships and similarly taxed LLCs pay SE Tax on their share of the business net profit, whereas owners of S corps and similarly taxed LLCs do not.

While owner-employees of an S corp or similarly taxed LLC can avoid the SE Tax, they generally cannot avoid paying employment taxes altogether. Owner-employees of C and S corps, or similarly taxed LLCs who hold executive officer position(s) and manage the day-to-day business of the enterprise, generally need to take a W-2 salary in order to comply with the IRS “reasonable compensation” doctrine for corporate officers. This reasonable compensation requirement tends to mitigate the SE Tax advantages because W-2 salary is subject to Social Security and Medicare tax withholding and also subject to federal and state unemployment taxes.


GoSmallBiz offers small business consulting, CEO advice, and an extensive online learning center for small businesses and entrepreneurs. The mission of is simple – to improve the lives of its customers and give them a better chance at success. The GoSmallBiz business specialists have hundreds of years of combined business experience in both private and public companies, and represent all major industries and professions, including CPAs and specialists in finance, sales, marketing, HR, IT, and operations.